Saturday 2 December 2017

The Beauty of Friendship




There is a proverb, that states:

“A man who has friends,
must himself be friendly.
But there is a friend who sticks
closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

As I was browsing through Facebook the one day, the face of a childhood friend popped. Consequently a blast from the past flashback hit me. Boom! As I analysed the flood of recall; three people leap to mind: Kaitlin Wolf, Bruce, and Liam Hyland (father and son).

Growing up Bruce gave us music lessons, at a weekly home-schooling convention, my brother and I used to attend. His fun, charismatic form of teaching entertained the whole class. Thus a newly found friendship was kindled between Liam and I. Along with a love of music established.

Time past; as we grew older, I began to play the acoustic guitar. I learned to play classically. My favourite song being “My Heart Will Go On” by Celien Dion; which I learned after buying my Yamaha from a cute second hand boutique. Around the same time Liam began to play the Electric Guitar. One week past, and his musical blood kicked into overdrive. He became a rock star in the home-schooling community. By the age of fourteen he already had his own YouTube channel, as well as the opportunity to go to LA. Man those were good times!


It wasn’t long after this, when Kaitlin and I began to dream of fame and fortune too. We would pose with our guitars, making ‘Chid Magazine’ magazine covers on the computer. Which lead to, hours and hours of Hillsong Karaoke and dance, (much to the despair of our mothers, who had to hear it). Until finally, as I neared my early teens I was politely told that singing was not my forte, perhaps dancing would be better?


  Isn’t that the beauty of friendship though? Having people support us politely, no matter how useless we might be? Then as you become too old to be “a kid”; having someone honest with you saving you from any further embarrassment. At the end of the day, you get two types of people; those who create the music, and those who dance to it. With the help of a few long lost friends… I have discovered I am a dancer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment